Powered by Blogger.
RSS

About Me *REVISED*

Hello, my name is Joel and welcome to my blog!  This is going to be a blog about music, but not just any music.  This blog is about the music that people overlook while in the midst of the world of a movie, the background music.  Even though most people do not even notice the song in the background of a movie, this is no doubt a big factor in the design of a movie. There is no way to deny that the soundtrack to a film has to be well designed and fit the movie's theme or the viewer will be taken out of the immersion of the film and the movie is ruined.  Even so, the music has to be able to work in tandem with the cinematography, acting, etc. to make a lasting impression on the viewer.

Now that we have the very basic idea of the blog out of the way, let me tell you a little about me and how music is relevant to me.  I am a college student and I am currently majoring in Psychology (I know, that is way off from music).  Even so, music has always been a major part of my life.  I have played trumpet and piano and competed with those instruments for around 8 years.  Music has always been there and it always seems to have an impact, in some way, on me.  Music sends off messages that cannot be expressed, by some people, normally.  Music allows someone to pour their emotions into the world by playing harmonious notes.

"So," you may ask, "why movies?"  Movies are a form of art just like music and I think I can make the assumption that in this day, movies are a pretty large part of everyone's life.  Whether it be Netflix or the nearest theater, every person has seen their fair share of movies.  Movies, to me, have always been there and while I don't get the same feeling from them as I do from music, I can see how movies are used on a larger scale for other purposes.  The real fascinating part of movies that I started to notice when I started up my hobby in music, was how much the music of a movie can affect the viewer and make them evoke so much emotion.

When looking at the idea of reviewing soundtracks, some people look at how some movies are better than others, just as some songs (or albums) are better than others, but that does not matter in this blog.  This blog is not here to rate movies and give reviews of them, it is here to look at the effectiveness and enjoyment of the soundtracks themselves.  The movie may have been a bad one, but did the music fit into the theme and at least attempt to pull you in or did it push you away so that it was impossible to be immersed?  That is what I am here to see and analyze.  I have always felt that the most fragile aspect of a movie is to have a good soundtrack or score.  Without that music, much of the emotion in the movie would not be felt, even with the best actors playing the roles.  So do not expect reviews of soundtracks of only the best new movies, I want to look at all different types of soundtracks from all different types of movies in order to get a true understanding of what makes a soundtrack work effectively and to be put bluntly, be good.  Now it seems important to tell you readers how the blog will be directed towards you.


This blog will be very responsive to you as I will be open to see what thoughts you guys will have.  This blog is all about the music of movies, so if you have any input or thoughts, just comment on the review and I will make changes based on whether I see it as something I missed or something that was not too necessary.  The involvement of you guys and your excitement towards music is very important to this blog and will be something that moves it forward in the coming months.

I hope that you will find enjoyment in the reviews and possibly even start up a conversation with others in the comments.  I am excited to see how this blog goes on from here and any feedback that anyone wishes to give, I am glad to take.  Just make sure that next time you watch a movie, you listen to the background music.


(Also, I need some feedback on an idea that I have had for the blog, which would take some time, but would be interesting.  How do you guys feel about a rating system that I could make for the soundtrack?  Now this will purely be so that you can get an overview before the actual review, and allow you to choose which soundtrack reviews you wish to read based off of it.  Once again, just an idea, comment with any ideas you may have or feedback and I will be glad to take it into consideration.)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment